The 6 Best Bike Locks in 2020

Copied with permission from thebestbikelock.com. Originally posted in August of 2020.

Learn more about locking your bike here.

Finding the best lock for your bicycle can be tricky. There’s loads to choose from. And the wrong decision can have disastrous consequences!

The secret to success is choosing a lock that’s both secure enough to protect your bike and easy enough to use on a daily basis.

With that in mind, here are 6 fantastic bike locks that aim to do just that…

But if none of them seem quite right for you, don’t worry, below these picks I’ll show you the three simple steps that will guarantee you find the perfect bike lock for your needs.

1. Abus Granit X-Plus 540

The Abus Granit X Plus 540 is probably the best all round bike lock, of any type, available today.

It provides a very high level of security (Sold Secure Gold and 3/5 from ART) and despite being a practical size that won't limit where or how you can lock your bike, it’s still comparatively light.

This is because the 13 mm shackle is cast in a special, patented shape from a high quality steel. Which makes it as strong as much thicker shackles on much heavier bike locks.

In fact, the Granit X Plus 540 is the lightest, high security, standard sized u-lock available at the moment.

Don't get me wrong: it's still quite heavy (around the same weight as 3.5 cans of coke). All high security bike locks are. It's just much lighter than the competition!

Abus locks also tend to have much higher levels of reliability than other brands. This means that jammed mechanisms, failing keys and stuck shackles are almost unheard of in the X Plus 540.

Plus, it comes with a choice of two very robust and reliable frame mounts. Which means carrying it around should be a breeze.

So, if you’re looking for a very high security bike lock, that doesn't weigh a ton but still gives you plenty of places to lock your bike up. One that's easy to carry around and won't jam up in the cold and the rain. Then this is a fantastic choice!

For sure: it’s not cheap [Amazon]. And in my full, hands-on review of the Abus Granit X Plus 540 I suggest some great alternatives if it’s not quite right for you. Or see how it compares to other u-locks.

2. Kryptonite Kryptolok New-U

The Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 is probably the most famous bike lock in the world and a great mid-security choice.

However recently, Kryptonite have launched a newer version of the Kryptolok called the New-U.

It looks exactly the same as the Series 2 but the shackle locks into the crossbar on both sides, which provides extra protection from twisting and leverage attacks.

This revision has earned it an upgrade from Sold Secure Silver to Gold (although it still gets 2/5 from ART). But I would say it remains a mid-security lock!

However, the great thing about the Kryptolok (whether the Series 2 or the New-U) is that it's so painless to use…

It's not too heavy and if you attach the frame mount correctly, it's easy to carry while you're riding. And the generous size means you won't struggle to find places or ways to secure your bike when you get where you're going!

Kryptonite's customer service is undoubtedly the best of all the bike lock brands. This means a whole load of benefits from free keys to reduced price (or even free) lock replacements in some circumstances.

For sure: the Kryptolok is not a super high security lock. If you want a Kryptonite lock that's more secure then you should take a look at their Evolution range. But they will be heavier or smaller.

However, if your circumstances are lower risk, then the Kryptonite Kryptolok will provide you with an easy to use bike lock and adequate protection for a reasonable price [Amazon]

Read my full, hands-on review of the Kryptolok which includes the best alternatives if it’s not right for you. Or compare it to other <a target="none" href="http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/"u-locks</a>.

3. Kryptonite Kryptolok 955 Mini

The Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 955 Mini is a short, mid-security chain designed for mobile security.

When locked, it has slightly less internal space than a standard u-lock. But the difference is: it's flexible, so you'll find loads more places ou can lock your bike.

Like all chains it's much heavier than a u-lock of comparable security. But this one is still light and short enough to easily carry wrapped around your seat post.

And when it comes to actually locking your bike up, the integrated locking mechanism makes the whole process that much smoother than a separate padlock.

With 9 mm links, it’s not the most secure bike lock, but it is rated Sold Secure Gold and it offers far more protection than any cable lock.

Just keep it as far from the ground as possible so it's safe from bolt cutters. In fact, I recommend you wrap it around your top tube and then use other methods to protect your wheels.

So, if you're looking for something that's easy to carry and prefer the extra locking options of a chain lock, as long as your circumstances aren't high risk, this is a cheap [Amazon] and reliable option.

But if you're not sure this is the right one for you, I’ve written a lot more about chain locks.

4. Hiplok Gold Chain

Unlike other bike chain locks, the Hiplok Gold is strong enough to use in high risk circumstances whilst also remaining truly portable.

That's not because it's somehow lighter than other chain locks. It's not! At 4.85 lb (2.2 kg), like all chains it's pretty heavy. That's around the same weight as 5.5 cans of coke.

But Hiplok chains are unique because you can wear them around your waist like a belt! This makes them much easier to carry than normal chain locks, which you generally have to wrap around your seat post.

Carrying them round your seat post is fine for shorter, thinner (and less secure) chains. But when they get longer or thicker it can be a bit of a pain. Or sometimes they won't fit at all!

Carrying the Hiplok as a belt distributes the weight and bulk around your body so that it's much more manageable.

With the Hiplok Gold you get a generous 85 cm locking circumference which will give you loads more locking opportunities than any u-lock and many other chains.

And the belt system will fit waists from 28 - 44". So it can accommodate the vast majority of body sizes.

In terms of security, the hardened steel 10 mm chain links and 12 mm shackle make it a pretty tough customer and this is reflected in the Sold Secure Gold rating.

But if you need a little bit more security, check out my previous choice the New York Noose 1275. With 12 mm chain links it's more secure but it's just not as portable as the Hiplok Gold. You can also compare it to other chain locks.

5. Foldylock Compact

The Foldylock Compact is the lightest folding lock that still offers a reasonable level of protection (Sold Secure Silver). What’s more, it’s also the most usable folding lock I’ve ever tested!

The Foldylock Compact is 33″ (85 cm) long, which means it has around the same amount of internal locking space as a standard sized u-lock.

But because it’s flexible, it should actually give you loads more options when you’re looking for somewhere to lock your bike.

And in fact, at 2.2 lb (1 kg), the only Sold Secure Silver bike locks that are lighter than the Foldylock are mini u-locks!

Compared to it’s nearest rival (the Abus Bordo 6000), the Foldylock Compact is lighter and easier to use…

It’s easier to unlock, easier to unfold, easier to get around your bike and comes with a better frame mount. Plus it’s cheaper!

So, if your circumstances are lower risk and you’re looking for a compact and lightweight alternative to a u-lock, this is a great choice.

Read my hands on review of the Foldylock Compact where I also suggest some alternatives if it's not the right lock for you.

6. Abus Bordo Granit 6500

The Abus Bordo GRANIT 6500 is the most high security folding lock currently available. In fact, it's the only high security lock currently available!

At 5.5 mm, it's folding steel plates are just a fraction thicker than those of the 6000 (it's smaller brother).

But this lock is significantly more secure with a Gold rating from Sold Secure and 2/5 stars from ART.

It’s 33.5" (85 cm) long, which should give you loads of places to lock your bike. And at 3.48 lb (1.58 kg), it’s heavy, but not too heavy for daily use.

Sure, it’s heavier and less secure than the Abus Granit X Plus 540 230! But it’s much lighter than any Sold Secure Gold chain lock.

And the beauty of folding locks is not just the extra locking options that their flexibility gives you.

They're also the easiest bike locks to carry, in a case that screws into your water bottle holster. So you won't notice the weight at all!

So if your circumstances are high risk and you need more locking options than a u-lock can give you. But don’t want to lug around a massive heavy chain. The Abus Bordo GRANIT 6500 could be a very good choice [Amazon].

Read my full, hands-on review of the 6500 or compare it to other folding locks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://bikeindex.org/news/the-6-best-bike-locks-in-2020

Here’s a video review from “lock picking lawyer” who I love! He likes the Abus folding lock, but pointed out other vulnerabilities that the Krytonite chain locks don’t have.

1 Like